Saturday, March 31, 2012

Dealing With Annoying Know-It-All People



I am actually qualified to write on this subject simply because I believe I am one of them....or usedto be. Over the years I have made it my business to be inquisitive and consequently I have acquired considerable knowledge on just about everything. In conversation its great to be able to relay your experiences to an attentive audience who will be amazed, empathetic and grateful to you for sharing such fascinating information with them. So what is it that makes this kind of person so annoying? Its because that same person dismisses anything anyone else has to say, albeit unintentionally. Your typical know-it-all will have already visited that remote exotic place plus he will have superior information on pretty much every other topic. Quite simply his life experience will have been bigger and better than yours. =)

While I am an enthusiastic well of information I am not (hopefully) considered so insensitive as to persistently ride roughshod over the opinions of others, to make their experience appear inconsequential, monopolise and dominate a social gathering with a steady stream of indisputable facts. What then is the best way to cope with such a person? Consider dramatically diverting him from his topic, spill your drink accidentally over his shoes which, as he attends to the clean up, may then allow another participant to regain control of the conversation. Or much better still, gesticulate vigorously to a pretend friend across the room then make your excuses to leave. There's no need to offend, he is harmless, merely sees himself as an official adviser, his role to inform the ignorant. Unfortunately he has no sense of self awareness and doesn't see the myriad expressions of boredom, anger and annoyance.

I said I feared that I maybe one of these people because there have been so many times when I have had to bite my tongue. If I see an opportunity to gain centre stage I do, I even butt into someone else's conversation to do it. However I am learning to control my know-it-all instinct, to recognise when to shut up to let someone else bask in glory, to become a good listener. People watching is a great way to improve your social manner, to be less annoying less dominating. Just watch the body language of the know-it-alls audience then observe the audience of someone who interacts with his social group and gives value to their comments.

Personality comes into it too, we all like to feel a warm reaction from others, for them to appreciate our information but the know-it-all has a slightly different slant on life. Should we tell him when we've had enough, maybe we should but in the nicest possible way. As long as some recognition is offered I doubt he would mind too much when someone smiles and kindly says enough already.

Oh and about spilling a drink on his/her shoes, I'd rather you don't!

No comments:

Post a Comment